SOLDIERS’, SAILORS’ AND MARINES’ FUND
The following is summarized from The Soldiers', Sailors' and Marines' Fund web site http://www.ct.gov/ssmf
Financial assistance for health and maintenance needs of eligible veterans with an honorable discharge, and their spouses (or widows) and their minor children (ages 0 through 17). The spouse or child must be living with the veteran or living with the veteran at the time of his/her death. Funds can be used for food, clothing, shelter, fuel, utilities, and burial expenses (For hospital care and other medical expenses, veterans should first contact the United States Veterans Administration (VA) to determine if they are eligible for any VA benefits). The Fund is limited by its earnings, so it may not be able to completely meet the veteran's need.
The fund was created by the Connecticut General Assembly in 1919 and is administered by the American Legion.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
- Veteran must demonstrate need
- Must have served in at least one of the armed services, including National Guard and Reserves
- Must reside in Connecticut at the time of application and while in receipt of aid
- Must have honorable discharge
- Must have at least 90 days of active duty service, unless discharged for a service-connected disability, or for the full extent of the conflict in a combat or combat support role if the war campaign or operation lasted less than 90 days.
- Assistance is limited to once in a twelve month period
APPLICABLE DATES OF SERVICE:
- World War I: April 6, 1917-November 11, 1918
- World War II: December 7, 1941-December 31, 1946
- Korean Conflict: June 27, 1950-January 31, 1955
- Vietnam Era: February 28, 1961-July 1, 1975
- Persian Gulf Era (a.k.a. Global War on Terrorism, includes Afghanistan, Bosnia, Iraq, Kuwait, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Somalia): August 2, 1990-Indefinite (Must have been discharged prior to applying for assistance)
OR: Combat or combat
support service is required for the following
(Must have been awarded the Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal.)
- Lebanon: September 29,1982-March 30, 1984
- Grenada: October 25, 1983-December 15, 1983
- Ernest Will-P.G.: February 1, 1987-July 23, 1987
- Panama: December 20, 1989-January 31, 1990
OR: Service in Specified Operational Area:
- Lebanon: July 1, 1958-November1, 1958
HOW TO OBTAIN SERVICE: State office or regional offices will tell callers where to apply for assistance; also, name and address of nearest Fund Representatives may be obtained from the local American Legion Post or the office of the Town or City Clerk, where the names and addresses of the Fund Representatives are registered.
TO FIND PROVIDERS IN CONNECTICUT'S COMMUNITY RESOURCES DATABASE:
- Search by program name: Soldiers', Sailors' and Marines' Fund
SOURCE: Soldiers', Sailors' and
PREPARED BY: 211/kq
CONTENT LAST REVIEWED: July2012