1. HOUSING CHOICE VOUCHER PROGRAM: The program formerly known as the Section 8 Voucher Program is now officially known as the Housing Choice Voucher Program. However, since the name Section 8 has been used for over thirty years, many people still refer to it as the Section 8 Voucher program. The Housing Choice Voucher Program is administered by the State of Connecticut Department of Housing. It is a major federal program that helps very low income families, seniors, and people with disabilities afford housing in the private market. It is a tenant based program, which means that the voucher is assigned to the household (individual or family) seeking housing. Tenant-based housing may also be called "portable" since renters can take the voucher with them when they move.

Housing Choice Voucher Program Website: Housing authorities in Connecticut that have the Housing Choice Voucher Program are required to post information about any opening of their Housing Choice Voucher Program Wait List on a website maintained by the United Way of Connecticut/2-1-1, At this website, you can check for any currently open Housing Choice Voucher Program wait list in Connecticut. You can also register for an automatic email update, which will advise you when a housing authority posts an opening on this website. Some housing authorities may post current information about other housing options on their own website.

2. SITE BASED RENT SUBSIDY PROGRAMS: With site based or project based rent subsidy programs the subsidy is assigned to a public or private housing development. Site based housing may also be called "non-portable" since tenants cannot take the housing subsidy with them when they move. Although there is a project based Section 8 rent subsidy program (administered by HUD) and other funding programs administered by HUD and other federal and state agencies, most project based rent subisidy programs are NOT consistently identified by their funding source, e.g., Section 8, Section 202. This type of subsidized rental housing is easier to get into because there are more units available and the tenants cannot take the voucher with them when they move.

3. RAP (Rental Assistance Program) VOUCHERS: RAP is a state-funded program administered by the Connecticut Department of Housing. The Department of Housing monitors the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) Program and State Rental Assistance Program (RAP) waiting lists statewide, and may open up the program periodically for a lottery, to be placed on the waiting list. 


Usually, housing agencies that have Housing Choice Voucher Programs will have a wait list established for people seeking Housing Choice Vouchers. Housing authorities and other agencies usually close their wait list to new applicants once they have a certain number of names on the wait list. There are only a small number of agencies in Connecticut that offer Housing Choice Voucher Programs. However, there are hundreds of subsidized rental projects, managed privately or by a housing authority. While many of these non-portable subsidized rental programs may also have wait lists for rental units, the larger number of programs means that people seeking subsidized rental housing will have a better chance of finding a rental with a non-portable program than they will by getting on a Housing Choice Voucher Program wait list.


  • Call HUD (Hartford Office: 860-240-4800) and ask for the guidebook called “Looking for HUD-Associated Rental Housing in Connecticut” or go to the HUD website to order a copy at the following address, .  The guidebook lists all sites that have HUD funding for subsidized apartments. It is NOT a list of available apartments. The guidebook lists housing projects in town order, and includes agent, address and phone number. You can call and place your name on as many waiting lists as you want for those sites that have an open wait list.
  • Check the Housing Choice Voucher Program website (see above) for open choice voucher lists and for housing authority contact information.
  • Call your local housing authority to see if you can place your name on their wait list for public housing sites. Some housing authorities (usually the smaller ones) never close their wait list. Other housing authorities only open their wait list for a short time. You can place your name on as many housing authority lists as you want.
  • Try searching on the website
  • Check the classified section of a daily newspaper in the area where you want to live. Newspapers publish announcements of openings for the Housing Choice Voucher Program and list subsidized rent apartments.
  • Call 2-1-1 or search our database for low income housing at: (Connecticut's Community Resources Database).
  • Search HUD's list of Connecticut rental resources at
  • It is illegal to discriminate against a person with a Housing Choice Voucher, so if you think this is happening to you, call the Connecticut Fair Housing Center.
  • To read more about housing topics check out our eLibrary papers at:
  • To get an idea of income limits for Section 8 and other rent subsidy programs, go to:, click on the link to the HUD document, find the area that you want to live in, and look at the “Very Low Income” line.